[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: Thanks for the downloading help!

On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Paul Rarey wrote:

> I've been involved with building a couple of copyright statements w/ lawyer
> types familiar with "electronic" law. Check out <http://www.dhl.com/legal.htm>
> and <http://www.clorox.com/cpyrite.htm>

I find it fascinating that DHL asserts their copyrights but then insist
that anyone who provides feedback doesn't own any copyright to their
feedback. Absurd. Also typical lawyerspeak.

However, neither of these copyright statements stands alone. Calling
individual pages copyrighted implictly is not likely to stand the court
tests anymore than copyright law protects a letter sent to me w/o
any form of copyright marking.

Part of the picture must be the web site policy re. marking EVERY page
with the appropriate copyright notices. THen the CLorax copyright would
make more sense if instead of requiriring any copy be marked with
"copyright ...." it require that any copy not be seperated from the
included "copyright ...". That represents a sharing of the responsiblity.

Congress passed the Telecommunications Act the the Supreme Court is
already in violation for posting their documents etc. online where the
content includes some of the verbotten words.

Dave Morris

Follow-Ups: References: